Monday, January 17, 2011

Solitude as a Career (Part 2)

Monastics pass on wisdom and insight to us directly through their verbal and written teachings. But this is only part of what they give us. It can sometimes be a small part.

The most powerful thing they offer is their example.

Just to see a monk in orange robes and shaved head causes one to pause. There is just something about that sight that touches something deep and primordial in me. Something quite subconscious. A powerful archetype representing something that cannot be put into words. A monk is a symbol of possibilities. Possibilities of a different way of living and being. Possibilities of simplicity, non-attachment, happiness and freedom.

Sure, monastics are dependent upon their benefactors for food, clothing and shelter - but consider all that they have let go of for the sake of purifying their hearts and minds for the benefit of all beings. Bhikkhunis have undertaken the training of 311 precepts. These are rules that they follow in order to experience ‘the happiness of being blameless’. The precepts are the way by which Buddhists practice morality for the purpose of higher happiness and freedom. As a layperson, I do my best to follow the five precepts (in Pali and English):
1. Panatipata veramani sikkhapadam samadiyami
I undertake the precept to refrain from destroying living creatures.
2. Adinnadana veramani sikkhapadam samadiyami
I undertake the precept to refrain from taking that which is not given.
3. Kamesu micchacara veramani sikkhapadam samadiyami
I undertake the precept to refrain from sexual misconduct.
4. Musavada veramani sikkhapadam samadiyami
I undertake the precept to refrain from incorrect speech.
5. Suramerayamajja pamadatthana veramani sikkhapadam samadiyami
I undertake the precept to refrain from intoxicating drinks and drugs which lead to carelessness.
There is no one to condemn me or expel me or send me to hell if I do not keep these precepts, however. These are practices. Trainings. The natural law of cause and effect does the trick when I am not keeping them. Pain naturally arises. I am free to be happy or suffer, it is my choice.

Monastics have an expanded version of these rules. The 311 rules they follow are based on the 10 precepts, which are the five above, only with the third precept being total abstinence of sexual activity, and these additional:
6. Vikalabhojana veramani sikkhapadam samadiyami
I undertake the precept to refrain from eating at the forbidden time (i.e., after noon).
7. Nacca-gita-vadita-visuka-dassana veramani sikkhapadam samadiyami
I undertake the precept to refrain from dancing,singing, music, going to see entertainments.
8. Mala-gandha-vilepana-dharana-mandana-vibhusanatthana veramani sikkhapadam samadiyami
I undertake the precept to refrain from wearing garlands, using perfumes, and beautifying the body with cosmetics.
9. Uccasayana-mahasayana veramani sikkhapadam samadiyami
I undertake the precept to refrain from lying on a high or luxurious sleeping place.
10. Jatarupa-rajata-patiggahana veramani sikkhapadam samadiyami
I undertake the precept to refrain from accepting gold and silver (money).
This is an austere training, and not for the weak-willed person. A person must be "ripe" for this type of training, as I mentioned in a previous post. They must be on the verge of giving up all these things anyway, naturally. A life of total repression is not helpful if one is not on the verge of giving these things up (hence, I am a layperson and not a monk).

Thus, a person who does undertake this sort of austerity is truly inspiring to me. They are spiritual warriors. Spiritual heroes. They are doing something difficult and amazing. They are putting the Buddha's teachings to the test. They are experiencing the teachings first hand. They are reaping the benefits. They are showing that it can be done. That it is possible to transcend sensual desire and attachment. They show us what it looks like. They give us something to aspire to. And whenever I am blessed to be in the presence of a monk, it seems the merit of that event is similar to many lengthy retreats I might attend in terms of how I am inspired in my own practice.

In the last few days I have noticed more opportunities in my life to let go and find simplicity. And it truly is a gift.

No comments:

Post a Comment