Friday, February 12, 2010

Nothing is Lost

I can give my love away but it will never be gone from me. My love is inside me, it's mine, and there is always enough of it. I guess this is why I don't mind taking risks for love. It doesn't mean it doesn't hurt sometimes, but it does mean I am ok.

I mentioned to my sister the other day that something I learned in a class at the meditation center on “Cultivating Wholesome Relationships,” is that the only thing to really look at in terms of our relationships with others is how we are relating to ourselves while relating with others. Everything we experience is inside of us. Our relationships are not "out there", they are inside of us. Everything our relationships are, as much as they involve others, are what we create inside of ourselves. The only real question to ask then is: How am I being in relationship to X? It is an "I" question. Who am I? How am I? Our whole lives are about "I"! "I" am there always no matter who I am relating with out in the world. The relationship with myself is the most important relationship. If I know myself and love myself well, I have so much more to share. My cup must be full on my own first and then the people around me can partake in the overflow.

I know, the “I” stuff contradicts the “No Self” stuff, but that’s just how it is. Both are true.

"Throw it away
Throw it away
Give your love, live your life
Each and every day

And keep your hand wide open
Let the sun shine through
'Cause you can never lose a thing
If it belongs to you"

-Abbey Lincoln

No comments:

Post a Comment