Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Welcome Change if You Want Love in Your Life

Things are changing. Love changes things. Love is changing my daily/weekly/monthly routines and habits. It is changing my thoughts about the future: thoughts about family structure, thoughts about living space, living habits and schedules. It is making me consider what is appropriate to share with my children and when and how do I do this right??

Since the separation over 3 years ago and the divorce being final over 2 years ago, I have gotten used to being a family of three – my two daughters and me. I have gotten used to doing everything myself: keeping house, cooking, shopping, fixing things that get broken, caring for the kids 5-6 days per week, etc. I have gotten used to having time to fill on the weekends I don’t have my kids and in the evenings when they are asleep (alone time that is sometimes desired, sometimes not). I have gotten used to being single. I have gotten used to making plans to do things by myself or with friends. I have gotten used to the dating scene. I have gotten used to keeping my kids out of my dating life. I have gotten used to being a little lonely and frustrated in the search for a beautiful man to share my life with.

I have gotten used to saying, “Next!” again and again in the dating scene, paging through profiles on internet dating sites, scrutinizing each potential candidate, ruling hundreds of men out, meeting a select few that passed my initial scrutiny to find some big incompatibility or to find there is no chemistry. The few men that I did choose, did not choose me in return. I was starting to think maybe I was being too picky. That my ideals were too high and perfectionistic. But I don’t think I have been too picky.

What I have been looking for is fairly straightforward and simple. All I have wanted is someone who is honest and responsible, has similar values and lifestyle as me with a mutual level of attraction. Just basic but critical qualities.

And just as I was about to take another break from dating, perhaps indefinitely, to go into a sort of sleepy hibernation all alone for the winter, I met the man who has woken me up and finally given me hope that what I have been wanting and waiting for actually exists! Not only does he meet my very basic criteria, he exceeds them and on top of that, he is just as crazy about me as I am about him.

I am 38 years old. I have had several great loves so far in my life. I am ready for the greatest love of my life. I am all grown up. I know what I need and want. I know what marriage means – I’ve been there already. I know what “happily ever after” actually is in reality. I am realistic about what a future with a man might be like.

I have no idea what the future holds for me, but I do know that I am willing to take a chance on love and find out. Let the transformation begin!

2 comments:

  1. You are a brave and strong woman.
    May your transformation be fruitful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. best of luck,
    praying for you

    ReplyDelete